About Me

My wonderful husband died when I was 44 years old. Being widowed this young happens to less than 3% of married people. Writing through this loss one word at time helps me understand what I've lost and helps me continue to grow. It is how I have gradually recovered from such a severe loss. Research shows that you can benefit from taking just 15 minutes a day to write out your deepest feelings as a way of healing. On the right side of this blog, you'll see a tag for Exercises to Try. If you need some help knowing how to use writing to help heal yourself, I suggest you start there.

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Tough Act to Follow

You were perfect for me.
After you died
I didn't like it
When people said
things like
he'll be a tough act to follow.
I didn't want to hear it.
I didn't want to close the door
that opened
that first day you walked into my life.
All my denial was a protection
From the emptiness that I must have known
was just around the corner.
It's like a vacuum humming,
a void, a stall, a broken shell,
a dream that can't be captured
upon waking.
Still, I feel a good measure of peace
for what I had, for all that is gone.
As for what remains, it is less.
It is a lesson.
I will be able to live with less forever.
It's a tough act
to follow.
They were right.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Although I'm not in any way ready to even think about another man, I do completely get this post. There cannot possible be another man on this planet who will be as perfect for me as my late husband. And that sure is a lonely feeling, even when I'm not looking. Thank you for your thought provoking post.

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog through common tags (grief, loss) and I like the way you write. I lost my husband, age 44, less than two months ago... and finding other young widows out there is helping me feel less alone. Thank you.